2018 Volunteer Management Progress Report
Our Third Annual Global Survey is Now Closed
WHO took the survey?
1,241 leaders of volunteers from 12 countries participated. They represent all kinds and sizes of organizations and causes including nonprofits, government agencies, associations, congregations, and businesses that involve volunteers in communities.
WHAT will be included in the final report?
The final state-of-the-industry report will bel released in late January and will include charts and analysis of responses this this years survey. We will also include trend data from the last three years of surveys.
WHAT does the survey cover?
The goal of this “state of the industry” survey is to paint a better picture of today’s volunteer management professionals while taking into account their organizational characteristics, resources, location, etc.
WHY conduct a survey of volunteer management?
Our field needs this. Although researchers have conducted similar surveys, none have attempted to understand trends over time through a survey that occurs (and evolves) every year.
We all need this information to be better advocates.
- Volunteer resource managers can benefit from seeing how their colleagues rate their own priorities, challenges, and opportunities.
- Volunteer-led organizations need clear benchmarks to help them make meaningful comparisons and informed decisions about their volunteer engagement.
- Nonprofit consultants, trainers, and capacity builders need to know which are the greatest needs for our field.
- And, we need this information updated every year. We plan to conduct this survey each year so that we can begin to track emerging trends in our field.
WHO helped distribute the survey?
We are grateful for the help of the following distribution partners and others. If you are interested in helping next year, please email Tobi at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll get you on the list of distribution partners and alert you in the fall of 2018.
- Alberta Health Services
- America’s Service Commissions
- Association of Leaders in Volunteer Engagement (AL!VE)
- Bloodworks Northwest
- DOVIA Greater Akron
- Maine Commission for Community Service
- Make-A-Wish America
- Michigan Healthcare Volunteer Resource Professionals (MHVRP)
- Mid-Ohio Foodbank
- Minnesota Association for Volunteer Administration (MAVA)
- Nevada Volunteers
- Ohio Association of Foodbanks
- OAVR (Ottawa Administrators of Volunteer Resources)
- Palliative Care Victoria
- Pracademics Section, Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA)
- HandsOn Network | Points of Light
- Portland Area Volunteer Administrators (PAVA)
- Professional Association of Volunteer Leaders Ontario (PAVRO)
- Rob Jackson Consulting Ltd
- Society for Healthcare Volunteer Leaders
- The Centre for Volunteering
- Twenty Hats
- Volunteer Administrators Network of Central Ohio (VAN)
- Volunteer East Tennessee
- Volunteering and Contact ACT (VCA)
- Volunteering South Australia & Northern Territory
- Wisconsin Volunteer Coordinators Association (WVCA)
- Volunteer Wisconsin
- YMCA of the USA
Want to Help Spread the Word?
If you lead a network of volunteer management professionals and would like to help raise awareness of the survey next year, please contact Tobi at email@example.com. We’ll send you a press kit that makes it easy to share.