First, we released our third-annual Volunteer Management Progress Report survey this week! Take the survey now (it takes less than 15 minutes) to add your voice and help advocate for our field!
To Celebrate & Advocate!
Last Sunday was International Volunteer Managers Day, and there were some great posts advocating for volunteer resource management:
- Barb Sheffer, CVA and member of VolunteerPro, talks about the importance of continuing professional development for volunteer managers in the Twenty Hats post FYI, Professional Development Makes Volunteer Managers Happier (Not To Mention Smarter).
- Flutterbye has some great tips on how you can raise the profile of the volunteer program within your organization in Volunteer Managers: Stand up and Advocate.
- Alison Lai has a great opinion piece on The Advocate about Thanking those who keep volunteers going.
- Andy Broomhead, the head of volunteering for Diabetes UK, talks about the importance of Giving Volunteer Managers a Voice.
- The 2017 International Volunteer Managers Day Blog Carnival has a great list of some additional content for International Volunteer Managers Day, thanks to Liza Dyer for making that happen.
Unique Volunteer Involvement
- JetBlue is giving free trips to travelers willing to do volunteer work.
- Volunteers with Cycling Without Age are helping nursing home residents around the globe get out into their communities by taking them for bike rides.
- An 11-year-old nonprofit founder is saving lives through bike safety.