December 5th was International Volunteer Day, and we saw some fantastic content around the importance of volunteer programs:
- Adrienne Picone, CEO of Volunteering Australia, makes a great argument that now is the time to increase the investment in volunteer programs in her post, Value Enabled by Volunteers, Extends to the Sector and Requires Investment, which appeared on PRObono Australia.
- myRepublica talks about the importance of Honoring Volunteers and the critical role they play after disasters.
- Amanda MacArthur, Chief Program Officer with PYXERA Global, talks about The Future of Pro Bono in the Workplace in her article on Huffington Post.
- Gared Jones, Senior Vice President of Global at Points of Light, delves into The Call of a Global Movement on International Volunteer Day.
Advocating for Volunteer Coordinators
- Elisa Kosarin at Twenty Hats thinks This volunteer thank you video will put a smile on your face. The video is from Jenna Jones, CVA and Volunteer Coordinator for the Smithsonian Associates, who is also a VolunteerPro member!
- In Letting Fear Prevent Volunteer Involvement is Too Risky, Jayne Cravens tells an interesting story about the setbacks she faced around virtual volunteers and how that experience helped her address risk management concerns.
- Volunteerplaintalk has an uplifting opinion piece on The Volunteer Ripple Effect.
- Flutterbye has a great post on How To Cultivate a Volunteer Community.
- Fighting the impulse to despair: How the current political climate impacts volunteer engagement, by Andy Levy-Ajzenkopf at Charity Village, talks about an interesting study by Spinktank on the influence of political leadership on volunteer behavior.
- Although aimed at nonprofit leaders as a whole, Aaron Alejandro at Forbes has a great piece on The Three Core Values Every Nonprofit Leader Needs To Excel, which has some great advice that could benefit leaders of volunteers as well.
- If you’re thinking about your volunteer program marketing plan for next year, Wild Apricot has 5 Steps to Create a Nonprofit Marketing Plan, which you can adapt to target potential volunteers.
Unique Volunteer Involvement
- The New York Times has an interesting piece on The Vacation Project, a new company that is helping people enjoy Leisure Travel With an Eye on Giving Back.
- Hannah Golden at Elite Daily has some great suggestions on Places To Volunteer Around New Year’s To Start 2018 Right.
- Would you like to do a volunteering project as a way to start 2018? If so, Nonprofit, a project of xarxanet.com, has a list of some unique opportunities to join a volunteer project abroad.
Keep an eye on our training calendar for more information on upcoming webinars.
And, if you’re not already a member, don’t forget to check out our Semi-Annual Winter Sale happening now!