Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Post your questions and comments for Lesson 5 below.

• Alison Jones-Nassar

Is it a best practice to always phrase survey questions in the first person?

• Tobi Johnson

Great question @Alison:

It depends on the type of survey item. For example, if you are asking survey respondents to rate their agreement with a statement (e.g., “I feel my orientation training prepared me for my role”), then first person is best (in other words, it’s better than “Orientation training at XYZ Nonprofit prepares volunteers for their roles.”

To get the most reliable data, its best to post questions that will mostly clearly reflect the respondent’s own experience as closely as possible. So, for the two examples above, the second example asks them to make a broad generalization about the volunteer training ( in other words to guess what others are thinking) versus the first which asks them to reflect on their own experience.

On the other hand, if you are asking respondents to choose from a list (e.g., At which frequency would you like to receive the volunteer newsletter?), second person will work as well.

• Tobi Johnson

Folks on today’s coaching call asked for examples of 6-point Likert-Type scales. I recommend using an even numbered scale if you want to force your respondents to make a decision. If you believe your respondents may truly not have an opinion on something, use an even scale to determine how many folks are sitting on the fence. Both odd and even-numbered scales are helpful – it just depends what you want to use them to learn.

Here are a few …

Frequency

>Always

>Very Frequently

>Occasionally

>Rarely

>Very Rarely

>Never

Ease of Use

>Very easy

>Easy

>Somewhat easy

>Somewhat difficult

>Difficult

>Very difficult

Agreement
      >Completely Agree

>Mostly Agree

>Slightly Agree

>Slightly Disagree
      >Mostly Disagree

>Completely Disagree

Satisfaction

>Extremely satisfied

>Very satisfied

>Somewhat satisfied

>Somewhat dissatisfied

>Very dissatisfied

>Extremely dissatisfied

Likelihood

>Extremely likely

>Very likely

>Somewhat likely

>Somewhat unlikely

>Very unlikely

>Extremely unlikely

Also, if you get stuck on the terms to use, you can always include text anchors only at each end and list the remainder as numbers only. For example,

Importance

1 – not at all important/accurate -2- -3- -4- -5- 6 – extremely important/accurate

• Jessica Gordon

Thank you for these examples!

• Tobi Johnson

@Jessica — My pleasure!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.