Volunteer Coordinators, whether you are posting on social media or hosting a volunteer appreciation event, it’s super cool to have some video to share and I have found a new tool that I love that makes it easy, fun, and professional. You do not have to be an expert at video production to use PowToon. This tool creates cartoon videos using tons of templates that range from formal and professional to totally whimsical and fun. The software has a free version (WOW!) and a very affordable paid version that has some nice upgrades.
For my purposes, I use the free version for social media videos and I use it in the online classes I teach. Our fearless leader Tobi Johnson, has used the paid version for some professional and longer training videos.
Quick tips for Volunteer Coordinators for using PowToon:
- Write a script or make a story board before you start (PowToon suggests this too). I tried to ignore this and realized later how helpful it would be.
- For social media posts, you must keep it super short, less than 1 minute, 30 seconds is even better.
- Don’t over think it. PowToon made these templates and they really are well done, so just plug in your info if you want to keep it super simple.
- Pin to the top of your social sites so it gets a lot of traction when you first release it.
- There are multiple ways to share your video, vimeo, youtube, etc. I have had the most luck with youtube where I can download the Mp4 for sharing as well.
- Ask others to share it. These videos are really snazzy and it’s an easy ask to pass it around and request that others share via their networks.
We hope you like this cool new tool, and perhaps you will want to use it for your next special event promotion. If so, be sure to check out our free e-Course about making the most of your event volunteers here.
Here’s a link to the PowToon Blog where you can see some samples of the awesome videos you can create in a snap!
If you have some more ideas for great software that you enjoy using with your volunteer program, please share them with us in the comments below.